Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Phone Calls

E has been gone for nearly 3 weeks and I've had exactly one phone call....which made my fucking day! Communicating through things like e-mail, text, and Facebook chat are really frustrating. There's a lot of room for miscommunication, and that gets really tiring. Its much different when your significant other can fight with you, and then hug you to take away the sting....without that, its much harder to resolve things satisfactorily. I guess I didn't really think about that aspect going into this, and we didn't make communication expectations very clear, which perhaps would have been helpful.


E and I are a strong couple, and I have no doubt we will make it through this and beyond, but establishing expectations for this deployment would have eliminated the communication misfires and cut down on the mutual frustration. I highly suggest talking this stuff out before deployment begins. We are working through it, and oh man does being able to talk on the phone make so much of a difference! Hearing their voice, having a more normalized conversation is 100000x better than typing to eachother. Hearing the emotion, their voice, its much easier to respond to each other correctly. And I've never appreciated it so much.


Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment